29 March 2013 - 10:26 am

Everything starts with an idea

I am one of those people who love having a good old chinwag about how to set the world to rights. I simply cannot keep my mouth shut when I hear people say simple minded things that are practically regurgitated from a newspaper title. You know what I mean, those old chestnuts like ‘why should they get benefits when I work and pay tax’ – guess they don’t know they’re also paying for the royal family then, huh. Regardless of what people’s opinions are, I think we can all agree that there are things in this world that, if we could, we would change.

So what do we do? Well, the majority of us do nothing, as Derren Brown showed us in one of his great programmes (Hero at 30,000 Feet) we all have a tendency not to be the first one to act. But, everything in this world started out as an idea. So, why am I telling you all this random information? It’s because here at USE we live by an ‘enterprising’ philosophy – we think that if you want to change something, you can, you just have to be enterprising enough to do it.

ideas picture

So in the spirit of VCCoE week we are running a ‘Socially Driven Ideas’ session and everyone is invited.

We have arranged a guest lecturer from the law department to present you with a current social issue that we will then challenge you to solve. It will be an interactive workshop to show you how easy it is to generate ideas no matter how crazy they are – we don’t judge. It’s about being creative, having a bit of fun, and finding new ways to help our community.

Everyone who takes part will be given the opportunity to join our new Social Innovation Flatpack (it’s free!!). The flatpack is designed for anyone who wants to learn more about social enterprise, be more commercially aware, or even just to learn new skills. We will also tell you about how to access advice and funding to help you start your own social enterprise, or a social project.

So if any of this sounds remotely interesting then sign up quick. It is open to all students and the general public.

Where & When?

Socially Driven Ideas will be held on the main stage inside the Octagon Centre on 17th April 2013, 12:00-13:00pm. There will also be loads of stuff going on throughout the day in the Octagon Centre, and around the university, so there are plenty of things you can get involved in if ‘Socially Driven Ideas’ aren’t your cup of tea.

Sign up for Socially Driven Ideas HERE

Find out what else is going on HERE

Thanks to Tsahi Levent-Levi for the image