28 April 2013 - 10:58 am

Let’s Get Ready to Jumble and USEme

I recently wrote a blog recruiting for the upcoming event I am organising/running – Let’s Get Ready to Jumble.  Now the event has been and gone over I thought I’d blog to give a little insight into my idea for the event and my passion behind it.

Since I was a little girl I have always loved trawling through charity shops, vintage shops, flea markets (or ‘brocantes‘ in french) and jumble sales.  As an adult not much has changed, I’m always searching for hidden treasure or a potential bargain.  Vintage and charity shop shopping is still one of my favourite pass-times, a fact that is evident by my friends referring to my wardrobe itself as jumble-sale-esque!

My wardrobe has what you might call a high turn over of clothes, as not only do I frequently shop in charity shops, but I also regularly have a massive clothing cull.  I am constantly sending bin bag after bin bag in the direction of whatever charity shop may be closest, and every time I send a bag off I think to myself…

…I should really take all this to a jumble sale…

…but I never do, partly because I do like to be charitable, and partly because sometimes I just can’t be bothered!  Every now and then I put things on ebay, but I’ve never really got that into it.

Lets get ready to jumble posterThen, about a year ago, I had a brain wave – I could run a jumble sale!  Conveniently this idea coincided with me hearing a blast from the past on the radio Let’s get ready to rhumble by PJ and Duncan (AKA Ant and Dec).  Boom, my brain merged jumble with rhumble and my dream event was born – Let’s Get Ready to Jumble!

So much more than just a play on words, Let’s Get Ready to Jumble was a student jumble sale.  Running on Wednesday 17th April 2013 in the Octagon between 11am and 3pm Let’s Get Ready to Jumble hosted 14 jumble sale stalls, packed full of second-hand and vintage goodies.

USEmeThis, my dream event, ran as part of our Intern USEme collaborative event in the Octagon, as part of the Vice Chancellor’s Celebration of Enterprise:

Let’s Get Ready to Jumble was a big success, with stallholders making over £500 through selling their second-hand goodies.  I loved the event, and was so proud of all the stallholders who made such an effort to make the event a success, packing their stalls with treasures and building on their enterprise skills.

Thankyou to everyone who came along and supported the event, it made my day… if not my year!