13 November 2013 - 10:10 am

Foundbite for Windows Phone Released

Since travelling to Finland as part of the Microsoft and Nokia funded AppCampus program  last November, I’ve been working full-time for Mendzapp building Foundbite for Windows Phone.

AppCampus provides funding, marketing and support for developers building innovative apps which remain exclusive to Windows Phone for 3 months. The concept for Foundbite was lucky enough to be picked last May and since last December I’ve been building the app and service with the help of George Powell (a fellow Sheffield student) who worked with me for several months and Alfie Woodland who works from time to time on the website.

home-logoFoundbite combines a photo with the ambient background sound that has was happening at the time to capture the atmosphere of an event, place or experience. The app then allows the user to upload this foundbite to a map where other uers can listen and hear what it sounds like in different places around the world. Much like Instagram, it’s also possible to share what you’ve captured with others, even if they don’t have the app, via the website.

A feature was also recently rolled out that enables you to embed foundbites in your site, so what better to illustrate the concept than some examples uploaded by beta testers:

A band playing in Huntingdon Beach, California.

Pre-game at the Seattle Sounders stadium.

It’s been a challenge but developing the service over the past months and the weeks and weeks worth of beta testing and seeing users start to take to it has been really fun.

Foundbite launched officially on Windows Phone last week and has already been downloaded over 7000 times, largely thanks to some fantastic blog coverage. Looking forward to seeing it develop more – you can keep up to date by following Foundbite on Twitter.

One comment