29 July 2014 - 10:51 am

Summer Break?

This year has flown past so fast, it seems so strange that we are already running all our summer activities. Here at USE, it is as busy as ever…

We have got Enactus working at the zone, every day. Besides getting ready for the trip to Beijing for the Enactus World Cup, they are currently working on a new social project that will be operating in Zambia. So, there is loads of brainstorming, scoping out of their new ideas and prototyping going on.

Hopefully at some point I will get to go on holiday too...

Hopefully at some point I will get to go on holiday too…

That’s all well and good, but what am I doing ? Well, I am currently working on four (yes, four) summer schools, that are all happening between now and September.

Firstly, we had the Regional Bootcamp, which happened at York St John between the 1st and 4th July. This is a residential course where students from across Yorkshire and Humber come together in order to develop their business ideas and a business plan. My first session  was on customer discovery where I got people to work out who the owners were of a pile of rubbish (don’t worry, it is all washed) and then I ran the legendary Pizza Game, where you run your own pizzeria in the fictitious town of Villesburg.

Then there are the two Discover US summer schools which are centred around developing a new product to be sold at the Tour De France. This summer school is aimed at school children that are in year 10 (about 14-15 year olds) and aims to give them a taste of what university is like. My session is on how to scope out a business and we will be getting them to develop a Business Model Canvas. They will then use the canvas in a pitch to Sheffield’s answer to the Dragons off Dragons Den (ok- maybe not, I don’t think I am that scary).

Finally we have the return of the Online Enterprise Summer School. This is a great way for you to get a basic understanding of what enterprise is, what the various forms of legal entities are of businesses there and how to scope out a business. This takes roughly two days to complete and is eligible for HEAR and Sheffield Graduate Award. This takes place over the last two weeks of August and registration is open now .

With all of these things going on, it seems like this summer is going to be a rather busy one. Don’t forget, that USE is open all summer, so if you do want to launch a business- we are here to help as always.