1 September 2014 - 12:07 pm

Fingers crossed!

This week is a very exciting one for us here at USE as later in the week, a lot of us will be off to the event of the year (well, if you are an enterprise educator it is) – the International Entrepreneurship Educators (IEEC) Conference.

You might remember that last year, we hosted IEEC right here in Sheffield. That was a truly amazing experience for all of us here, but we are looking forward to relaxing a little more this year and not running round like headless chickens! We are off to the bright lights of Newcastle – a city I certainly don’t know that well, so I’m looking forward to seeing the sights.

The conference is a hectic few days, but it’s a great chance to meet other enterprise educators and learn more about progress and developments in the sector. Darren will be presenting a conference session about the exciting developments in his SEEChange project, I’ll be co-presenting a session about support for enterprising postgraduate research students, and Liz will be provoking people all over the place, getting people to consider the question – ‘Can we really build an education system fit for an entrepreneur…?’ Controversial.

Crowd from IEEC 2013

Such an enterprising crowd from IEEC 2013

This year, IEEC will be particularly exciting for the USE Academy team (myself, Maria, Anna, Chrissie and Gary), as the USE Academy project has been shortlisted for an award – a National Enterprise Educator Award no less! The awards ceremony is held as part of the gala dinner at IEEC, on the evening of the 4th Sept (this Thursday). We really are honoured to have been shortlisted as it shows that other enterprise educators are excited and curious about what we are doing with enterprise in the curriculum. Of course, we will be keeping our fingers and toes crossed for a win, but whatever the outcome we know that the whole USE team can be proud of the work that we do. We are very lucky to work in a university where our efforts are supported by so many people, so we owe a huge thank you to all our staff and students – we couldn’t do it without you!

Keep an eye on the @UShefEnterprise, @IEEC2014,  #IEEC2014 and @NEEAwards twitter feeds throughout Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for live tweets about what is going on at IEEC, and of course, on Thursday evening for news of the awards.