17 March 2015 - 10:10 am

Grab your bucket and run into a beach full of opportunities

At the time of writing this, I am about to leave USE to go onto maternity leave. But as well as spending loads of time with my new born, I have been thinking about making the most of my year by making a bucket list of all the things that I have been wanting to do for ages but because of working full time or just not getting round to it, it just hasn’t happened.

So, I have been looking at the ultimate bucket list , which has allowed me to reflect on what I have done so far in life and what I want to do in the next year. But the thing you might be surprised at is how much you can do whilst you are at university. You might be in your first year or your third year of university, but there are still plenty of opportunities to get involved in university life that could be life changing. Here are some of my thoughts on what I could do over the year….

Grab your bucket and fill it with opportunities

#2. Learn a language

When I went to China with Enactus, I ended up having conversations in German and French on the plane- something that I certainly wasn’t expecting to do and haven’t done since I was 16. Firstly, I was surprised how much I managed to remember but secondly, I really enjoyed the challenge of trying to communicate in another language. This is something that is definitely going on my bucket list. I am going to challenge myself to revisit my GCSE French textbook and see where we go from there (also, this is something I can do at three in the morning). There are loads of opportunities for you to increase your language skills whilst at uni- you could have a look at the Languages For All Programme Give it a Go Language courses or for the more advance linguist, try the Tandem Language Café. You never know, you might discover a passion for a language that you haven’t even heard of or the newly developed skill could help you land the job of your dreams

#18. Perform a kind deed without expecting anything in return

This is a strange one for me as this is something that I try to do every day, so I am not putting it on my bucket list. However, I am already looking into volunteering activities that I could do whilst on maternity leave that I could bring my little one with me. Sheffield Volunteering has a vast amount of opportunities that you can get involved in that can be both enlightening and help you develop your skills. All of these opportunities can be found on the Sheffield Volunteering website.

#56. Knit a scarf

This is something that is definitely hitting my bucket list. I have been wanting to learn how to knit for years and years and I have just not got round to doing it. I think if I actually sit down, I should be able to do it and like learning a language, you never know where it might take you. Number 22 on the ultimate bucket list is start your own business. There are a number of people who have taken their crafty side to the next level and set up a business based on their hobby. This could have been through craft fairs or even internationally through websites such as Etsy. If this is you, we can still support you to set up your business and this is up to five years after graduation- so get in touch.

#63 Read a book on a subject you had never thought of reading

Again, this is going on my bucket list. When it comes to my reading habits, there is one thing that you will notice about them all- they are all fiction. There is nothing I like more than reading something that will allow me to escape from reality, regardless of what genre it is. This year alone, I have read horror, chick lit and dystopian books but none of these are intellectually challenging or have taught me anything that I didn’t know (other than don’t make friends with vampires).  But if I can swap one of my fiction books for something a little bit academic, this would benefit me right? Well, not only would I benefit by learning something I didn’t know before, it could be a conversation starter at a networking event or it could spark an interest that I haven’t had before which could benefit my career. So, I am adding ‘The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat’  to my bucket list- why… just because it’s different and I like hats.

The start of term is a great time to write your bucket list as there are so many different things you can get involved in, you never know where these opportunities might take you. You could make new friends, find a new career or even travel across the world.

(Thanks to Longhorndave for the image)