3 April 2015 - 12:48 pm

“I think you need to de-stress…”

If I had a pound every time I thought that or had someone say that to me, I think I would be rich by now. It is also easier said than done. But can changing your attitude make it easier to deal with the big stressful things.
In this article ,  it suggests that if we go back to basics and act on impulse pleasure (like when we did when we were younger), we would live more fulfilling lives.

#1 Wonder at the small things. This is where little things can help make your day. One of my favorite days of the year is the first day I don’t have to wear my winter coat to work. The sun in shining, you can feel the warmth on your skin. Bliss. The best things in life are free.

If life was like this... there would be no stress in the world

If life was like this… there would be no stress in the world

#2 Embrace play. “In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun, you find the fun and snap the job’s a game”- Mary Poppins was right, if you can find fun in the jobs you hate doing, then you will eventually find that they are not so bad in the end.  Most people hate ironing, I love it. Why? Because I quite like getting creases out of things, it just seems like magic.

#3 Don’t strive for perfection. This is something that I can definitely say I do. I am not a perfectionist because it is not my nature to be like that. But I can easily see how being a perfectionist can really not help people’s stress resistance. If you strive for something that is perfect, how do you know when you are there and how much extra time do you spend on very minute detail that only you would notice?

#4 Go with the flow. You can’t be in control of something all the time and if you anticipate every single outcome of an event, your head might explode and you will never get that job done. Sometimes, it is easier just to go with the flow and see where life takes you.

#5 Don’t over think things. This is pretty much where all my stress comes from. I defiantly overthink things to the 10th degree- if I do this, what will happen? Will I upset anyone? Will I get into trouble? Did they mean this? Did they mean that? Before I know it, I am in a flap about doing something as simple as making tea. I quite like the quote in the article- “if you keep thinking about it, then you are making it a thing”- maybe this is something I should start to live by.

I think, if you can understand the main source of stress for you, then you can try and tackle it head on in order to keep yourself relaxed and productive. I hope you found this journey as useful as me.

(Thanks to Morgan Brenn for the image)