29 June 2015 - 3:24 pm

Exciting times… There’s a new girl in town!

Well hello wonderful blog readers! How are we all?

It was many moons ago when I was a student, I remember the pressures of exam preparations and the anticipation of being unleashed in to the real world of work.  How I fought against growing up and clung onto my student life by a thread – a thread that kept on breaking and being put back together with sticky tape 🙂

So just to give you a little snippet of who I am and where I have come from.  I moved to Sheffield in 2010 from Leeds, and I’ve spent the last 12 years since graduating from Leeds Met Uni (the newly named Leeds Beckett) working in the voluntary sector supporting young people aged 8-25 years old, who have presented with challenging needs and often chaotic/traumatic lifestyles.  I have worked in most educational establishments, offered 121 and group support, planned and delivered a variety of creative facilitation activities to engage and empower young people to reach their full potential.  Since coming to Sheffield, I have unfortunately, been made redundant 3 times and decided that a new change in career was needed.

I love working with young people, and I love working in a team where everyone is committed and passionate about what they do.

It’s a truly wonderful feeling being catapulted back into this environment and I feel blessed to be working and supporting the movers and shakers of the next generation.  It’s been 6 weeks now since I started here as the new Enterprise Officer at USE and it feels like an age.  I’ve met some incredible people and attended some snazzy events in such a short space of time that I can’t wait to see what the coming year will bring.

Experiential learning is at the heart of what USE does and they weren’t kidding!    As semester 2 winds down, I am thrown in the midst of planning for summer events, conferences, awards and summer schools.  This is just the tip of the enterprise iceberg I am yet to discover, with September 2015 bringing in a whole new wave of unsuspecting undergraduates ready to take on university with relish.  And I will be there waiting in the shadows ready to shine the Enterprise beacon and hopefully capture those imaginations and channel those wacky ideas in to something positive.

I’m really excited and looking forward to sharing my enterprising journey with you all.  I hope you find these blogs entertaining and useful!  I love to write (should have gone into journalism really) and I do have a tendency to waffle on about inconsequential things which make absolutely no sense or have no relevance to anything.  I do often wonder how I have got to this point in my life – my hubby is quite fond of saying ‘you’re really intelligent See but, you have no common sense’!  Ummmm…. that might be the case, but something must be going right?!

Anyway, I would just like to say a special thanks to my new USE colleagues for making my first few weeks here a welcoming experience.  I am nervous about the close proximity of my desk to the ‘munchies’ drawer, I can feel my waistline expanding fairly quickly and its not even Christmas!  It’s a bitter sweet moment as our current interns are slowly starting to drift away, I’ve become quite attached in these short weeks getting to know them all individually and the qualities and skills they have developed during their time here.  However, looking forward, we will have fresh faces over the summer and a new cohort in September all of whom I am sure will accomplish great things.

So, thank you if you have stayed to read until the end and I hope you will keep coming back!  If you see me wondering around the zone looking a bit overwhelmed its probably because I am but don’t let that put you off saying hello!