30 October 2015 - 11:58 am

A weekend to make the change!

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda, Jedi Master

Startup Weekends are fun packed entrepreneurship exercises in which you’ll learn much more than just starting a business. In brevity, Startup Weekends are two and a half day events; they start on a Friday evening when people pitch their ideas (It could be you too, if you have got one!). Then the participants choose the idea they would like to be part of.  The next day the teams build their product prototype and also reach out to their market to understand the challenges their business idea would face. On the final day the teams present their ideas to the judges and win prizes!

Last Summer I took part in a Startup Weekend, organized by USE, and I believe this was a unique experience, which is difficult to express in words. I met amazing people, worked on real life problems and through teamwork found solutions to them. The best part, apart from winning the competition, was that I developed the confidence and undersanding that starting an enterprise isn’t as impossible as it seems.

If you’re still asking yourself, “But what will I get from this event?”

Well here is my answer: You’ll learn that starting an enterprise is not the world’s most difficult task. That solutions can be found by a bunch of people just thinking critically and creatively. Apart from this the Startup Weekend experience can be used by you to tell your employers how you’ve demonstrated team working skills in real life, outside your academic studies, and that you can work creatively in a team to solve real life problems.

This year, for the Startup Weekend 2015 we have gone ‘Electric’ and are organizing this event at the Electric Works, which is THE PLACE in Sheffield to learn about enterprise.

Electric Works Helter Skelter

The Electric Works Helter Skelter. And yes you can take a ride in this too!

This years’ event is coinciding with the Global Startup Battle. So, if you win you will go on to compete with 250 teams globally! Previous prizes for this competition have included trips to Silicon Valley and much more!

So, interested? I bet you are! Why don’t you join us for Startup Weekend 2015? The tickets can be bought by clicking here.

I’ll see you soon in my next blog, till then stay foolish,stay curious.

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese proverb.

(Thanks to the Electric Works for the use of their image)