20 December 2015 - 10:44 am

Wrapping up the Autumn Semester

It’s been a very busy semester here at USE and just before we leave for the holidays, I’d like to share my thoughts of my first few months as an Entrepreneurship Intern. I’ve made awesome friends, got to know innovative businesses and started working on my own project.

First of all, I would like to take some time to appreciate the friendly and supportive environment here at USE. I feel that the staff here have done a great job of welcoming the interns and helping them develop throughout the semester. Ever since I began the internship, I listened carefully to each colleague in meetings although I might have had the impulse to interrupt. In this way, I was able to better perceive feelings by picking up on verbal and non-verbal cues. I showed interest in people’s work which I had briefly researched before the meeting in order to have a few conversation topics readily prepared. Because of these initiatives that I took, I feel that I became quickly integrated within the team and I felt more comfortable working with them. Personally, I feel that I have built trusted relationships and gained valuable communication skills.

Secondly, I’ve been doing inductions with new entrepreneurs in order for them to get familiarized with the co-working space and to start using it to develop their business ideas. I’ve been exposed to a great variety of brilliant business ideas and I know that most of the entrepreneurs can rely on us to help their ideas flourish. By creating a database tracking the entrepreneurs’ progress from initial enquiry to registering their business, I have been able to evaluate the effectiveness of the entrepreneurship services we offer. Moreover, I have gained commercial awareness and polished my skills in MS Excel. I worked with existing systems, whilst making constructive suggestions for improvements.

Finally, starting in January, I will be working on developing a project for the Master Cutler’s Challenge 2016. This involves raising as much money as possible for charity, starting with a £50 grant. The charities supported this year will be St Luke’s and Rotherham Hospices. The USE intern team will be competing in the challenge against dozens of other teams from companies all around Sheffield, but I will update you more on that in the coming year.

So for now, this holiday season I am grateful to have learned so much from the people I am working with and I wish everyone a Happy Christmas!

2377954229_76022dff3f_o

(Many thanks to Stephen Butler for providing the picture)