For students with investment ambitions, Venture Capital can seem like an inaccessible career. Associate positions for recent graduates are rare, making it difficult to gain real work experience in the field.
For students intent on startup life, insight into the minds of VC investors is like the Holy Grail. It’s something that literally can’t be experienced until you start the fundraising experience in your own startup. And then you learn the hard way.
And consider this… unless you’ve successfully built companies, you probably don’t know how to do it. It’s difficult to get this experience during a University degree (or any other way!). With us, you’ll learn: contract negotiations; how deals are structured; and how companies are valued, among other things.
So what can you do about it?
Campus Capital is the first ever student-managed venture capital (VC) firm in the UK. It backs early-stage, high-growth startups that have the potential to become industry-leading companies.
The fund is managed by teams of Student Associate VCs who operate in student groups within their University. Campus Capital Student VC Groups are educational societies for career-driven future investors and entrepreneurs that prepare its members for the world of high-growth startups. You could think of it as a sort of incubator/accelerator for VCs.
Campus Capital is on the hunt for exceptionally smart and curious students who will become the first ever team of student associate VCs right here at The University of Sheffield.
As a member of a Campus Capital Student VC Group, you are included right the way through the dealflow, including the pre- and post-investment stages. You will have the opportunity to make early-stage decisions and experience the full investment process, enabling you to build a real-world investment portfolio.
Through Campus Capital, you’ll get a view from both sides of the table.
What will being part of a Campus Capital Student VC Group entail?
- An extremely exciting experience in a supportive, safe, no-ego environment
- The opportunity to meet lots of interesting people, products and technologies
- The ability to learn new skills and advance your career before it even begins
- A chance to immerse yourself in Sheffield’s bustling startup scene and to help grow the UK’s first student-managed VC group.
- Identify exciting investment opportunities
- Keep on top of investment trends
- Work with startups through the investment process
- Collaborate with other student investors from across the UK
- Work alongside Campus Capital Partners and be involved in the full investment process
- Training/onboarding: Valuable workshops and experiential learning opportunities that will prepare you for your first foray into the VC landscape.
- Monthly talks: From experienced and successful investors who stay around to chat afterwards.
- Decision Making
- Relationship Management
- Market Research
- Much more…
Who are we looking for?
- Curious: You will have a keen interest in investment, entrepreneurship or technology. You will likely be an early-adopter and follower of technology/investment trends and news.
- Ambitious: You want a career in any of the above areas and see this is an opportunity to broaden your skills and experience as well as network with the kinds of people who will help kick-start that career once you graduate.
- Honest: The no.1 thing startups want from VCs they’re pitching to is respect. Campus Capital is a supportive environment for everyone involved, including the entrepreneurs seeking investment. You’ll be honest, humble and act with integrity at all times.
- Committed: Campus Capital provides an experiential learning opportunity and development programme to the most self-motivated, career-driven students. The application process is rigorous and the commitment is higher than your average society. You’ll be working with actual startups on real investment deals. This is important. We need to believe you have the interest and the commitment to follow through and get things done.
How to apply
- Application deadline: Friday 7th October 2016, 5pm.
- Apply to be a Student VC
- Shortlisting W/C 10th October 2016
- Interviews W/C 17th October 2016
- Announcements and start date W/C 24th October 2016
We can’t wait to meet you and welcome you into our 2016/17 Campus Capital cohort!
Campus Capital Student VC Groups form part of an educational programme of skills development and experiential learning. Campus Capital charges no membership direct to students, but the application process is competitive to ensure members get the most out of their time with Campus Capital.