5 December 2016 - 2:32 pm

YouTube Entrepreneurs- Story of Michelle Phan

If  you are a makeup junky, you must have heard of Michelle Phan-one of the most influential YouTube celebrities. If you think she only posts videos to teach you how to do a trendy makeup,  you are SO WRONG.

Michelle Phan, an American make-up YouTuber who specialises in beauty, fashion and lifestyle has over 8 million subscribers, 1.1 billion lifetime views and 385 uploaded videos. (I remembered her tutorial on how to get Angelina Julie look got so widespread. Even could see it on Chinese twitter with subtitles and girls were amazed by her incredible makeup skill) These are not just numbers; they change into real cash. Big beauty brands started to collaborate with her to promote their products. Lancôme employed her as online makeup stylist and a world-wide representative; L’Oreal collaborated with Phan and created her own cosmetic line called em by Michelle Phan. Later in 2012, Phan became an entrepreneur and launched Ipsy -a company that sends sample size makeup to its subscriber allowing them to try different brands.

Michelle Phan

Michelle Phan

Phan was awarded the  Streamy Award for Inspiration Icon Award in 2014; Later in the same year she published her book called Make up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style and Success-Online and Off . In 2015, Phan was named to Forbes 30 under 30 lists of 2015 and became one of the highest-paid YouTube stars one day after Ipsy was reportedly valued at $5 million.

Phan thanked her subscribers and fans in a ‘heart to heart’ talkative video and reviewed her YouTube journey:

I thought, if [YouTube] is going to be the global television of the future, I need to build my brand here. Within the first week, 40,000 people watched it and hundreds of comments came in and that’s when I realised I’d found my calling. Influence is the new power – if you have influence you can create a brand.’

Speaking of influence, Phan successfully markets herself to her audience. Not only the well-made makeup tutorials are popular; Daily vlogs, fashion reports, and talks of her favorite things all have impressive viewers.  These videos help to shape her as a fashionable and inspiring dreamer; The name Michelle Phan, is then linked to this very positive image. From nobody to somebody, this is the story of a YouTube entrepreneur.

Thanks to Linus Chiu for the picture