19 January 2017 - 1:18 pm

When enterprise becomes international: Taking the best from globalisation

When I commenced on the challenge of developing a programme for international students to develop their entrepreneurship skills I was not expecting Brexit would happen or even that we would have Mr Turmp as the next US President. When the programme ended, I was not only watching the political landscape change but also how far western nations were driving away from globalisation and becoming a closed retrogressive society.

When I ended it, I was not only watching the political landscape change but also how far people were driving away from globalisation and becoming a closed retrogressive society.

Then, I truly understood, the impact programmes like International Entrepreneurs can have. Bringing together smart, hard-working and passionate minds from all over the world into one room to develop solutions to the pressing problems. This was not only a unique pilot programme in the UK Higher Education, but also a need of the hour to make sure that all the postive benefits of globalisation are realised and exploited for the benefit of these brilliant students, and as well as wider society as a whole.

Even though the primary aim of the programme was to develop skills in international students, what we achieved was far more impactful. We achieved students who understand how different people from different cultures think and work. And more importantly, we saw a group of students, energised and passionate, winning the final pitching round and then planning to set up a high potential business here in the UK. Even though these students cannot immediately start their business in the UK, they are now in touch with USEt to develop their idea further and apply for the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneurship visa.

….we saw a group of students, energised and passionate, winning the final pitching round and then deciding to set up a high potential business here in the UK.

The International Entrepreneurs programme, not only showed the prowess of a UK university to attract the best minds from across the continents, but also making sure that these minds work together to work in a way which solves the problems of inequality and falling good paying jobs. I am in no doubt that the students who came in, will mostly go onto developing brilliant enterprises. These innovative enterprises will go on to provide solutions to the challenges faced by my generation and promote prosperity wherever they will be based.

The times ahead seem challenging for people who believe in globalisation. This reminds me of my personal motto: The toughest steel comes from the worst fire (And Sheffield has had a history of producing the best steel #JustSaying) . So game on, let us take more initiatives to help people from across the globe to collaborate and find solutions. Let us take the best from globalisation!

whatsapp-image-2016-12-10-at-15-03-56

Photo credits: Rishabh Kumar

Note: This article was first published at RishabhKumar.co.uk