12 June 2017 - 1:07 pm

What is Internet of Things (IoT)?

Internet of Things has been an increasingly discussed topic recently. It is one of the many technologies that tech conglomerates like Apple, Amazon, Google, Cisco etc. are investing heavily into. In this blog, I’d like to share what IoT means, its applicability, its future and some of the risks this may arise.

Internet of Things or IoT is essentially connecting devices to the internet to use them for everyday purposes. You may have come across Amazon Echo which is a personal assistant by Amazon and is powered by Alexa which is the brains behind the Echo. Alexa performs voice recognition.

This shift in the input is changing from human touch to human voice command and it is predicted that by 2020, there will be over 50 billion devices connected to WiFi. There are various applications for IoT devices, it is envisioned that one day it will help create a SMART City. SMART Cities will have most of the devices, homes, factories, offices etc. connected to WiFi which will help improve day to day life. This could improve our life as it can also be implemented in the healthcare industry. A smart pill is already serving us well by highlighting the health issues. Fitbit, Apple Watch or other bands are a great way to track one’s blood pressure, heart beat, pulse velocity etc. to ensure we are aware of the optimum levels.

Internet of Things (IoT)

This all sounds great but surely there caveats surrounding IoT. There are some concerns regarding the use of devices connected to WiFi, security being the biggest of all. These devices as they are connected and controlled over WiFi can be accessed remotely which can be intercepted by hackers and they can use it to their advantage. These devices also collect personal data which can be compromised and be hacked, these data can be sensitive like bank details, address, phone numbers etc. These can be prevented be ensuring that these devices have powerful security features that deter the interception. So far, there has not been many cyber attacks on the IoT devices but should financial consideration be included the risks become much more significant.

Internet of Things or IoT presents a huge potential for future growth as it promises various benefits. There are many concerns surrounding the topic but the benefits outweigh the risks. The UK is still behind the curve when it comes to IoT as many IoT devices available in the US are not yet available in the UK. It presents new opportunities to the younger generation to get involved in technology and use it to make their and their’s relatives life easier.

Thanks to Mobiloitee Technologies for the use of the image.