27 February 2018 - 3:30 pm

Graduating – What do I do?

What do I do? Where do I go?

With only a few months left until graduation, questions have been popping up in my head. What do I want to do? What will I become? What if no one wants to hire me?

But I do not think that it is just me. Within the first few years of university, I knew what I wanted to do and what I wanted my future to look like but it wasn’t until the past few months when everything changed. I can no longer see myself living the life I used to dream of. I stopped knowing what I wanted to do. I could not see where I was going.

So, what went wrong?

I once talked about this to one of my module leaders and a question that still rings in my head is: Would you have felt the same way if all the opportunities you can see now were laid out to you earlier on?

The point of university is to input knowledge and experience into you. With this comes a lot of learning about your future career, the course you’re taking, people around you, the world and most importantly, yourself. As you discover more, your world starts opening up to more choices and options.

Reality is that the more we know, the more we don’t know. The more knowledge we gain, the more we feel lost. The more choices and options we are presented with, the more we get confused.

Now, having established that, what’s the next step?

For many us, we would probably be applying for a graduate job or eyeing for that postgraduate study opportunity even though it is probably not what we want to do. One out of many would be thinking of taking a gap year to just explore the world and rediscover themselves. But another choice that has probably never came up as an option to some of us is becoming self-employed.

Being self-employed is not for everyone but if you are struggling to find that dream job or you just do not know what to do, find out more about it because it might just be for you.

The benefits of being self-employed are:

• You get to work on something you really enjoy
  • You get to decide on your own working hours
  • Your decisions are made by you and you only have to answer to yourself and your clients

With benefits, come the disadvantages:

• You would have to work around the clock
  • Your income is irregular
  • It can get lonely if you are working alone

If you would like to know what it is like to be self-employed, there is a session happening as part of the Skills Exhibition which will have Will from Mak Tok and Mihaela from ResearchRetold sharing with you their experience and leading you through a pitching workshop. To register, click the link below:

How to Start a Venture at LT10 of the Hicks Building (Wed 14 March 2018 5PM – 6PM)