23 May 2018 - 10:22 am

Leadership in Practice – Lessons Learned

On 18th April 2018, I delivered and led my first event; Enterprise 101! To begin with, the participants were asked to list the words that they associate with ‘Enterprise’. Here’s what they thought! 

Then the event comprised of 2 interactive activities;

• Gallery Brainstorming – 4 tables were positioned around the room and each was labelled with the skills; Communication, Leadership, Networking and Team-working. The participants used sticky notes to brainstorm different ways to build each skill and thereafter, stick it on the relevant skill table.
  • The Big Race – Participants put their team work and communication skills in practice in this activity! Each team member had different information and was challenged to communicate effectively in order to organize the group of horses in the correct sequence as they came in the race.

Lessons I learned:

• Embrace the opportunities presented to you. New opportunities are a great way to develop new skills and strengthen your existing ones! Developing the Enterprise 101 workshop taught me how to put a project plan into action and how to deliver a successful presentation.
  • Acknowledge that you will be challenged but you can also plan to overcome these! Personally, I was challenged to keep the workshop interactive. To overcome this, I did numerous practice runs with my friends, roommates and talking to the wall too! This works, I promise!
  • Although you’re the leader, you never stop learning from the individuals around you. During the workshop, I was interested to learn about the relevance of enterprise education across all disciplines and career fields. It is never too early or late to learn from the people around you!

I’d encourage everyone to step out of your comfort zone; after all that’s where the adventure begins and all the magic happens!