23 May 2018 - 10:11 am

Mak Tok: Introducing Culture through Chilli Paste

Mak Tok’s full range of sambal

A few weeks back, I organized an event called the Skills Exhibition. There were two parts of the event, a skills exhibition and a ‘How to Start a Venture’ Workshop. For the workshop, we invited two entrepreneurs, Will from Mak Tok and Mihaela from Research Retold. Will went out of his way to help me organize the workshop without me asking for help which I was extremely grateful for.

I first met Will in the USE coworking space where he introduced himself and told me that he sells sambal… which was something very familiar to me. Sambal is a chilli paste that people from Malaysia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Brunei and Singapore eat almost everything with. However, after multiple attempts at making it, I am still unable to perfect it. Therefore, Will became my hero. I now have a solution to a quick dinner of rice mixed with the Mak Tok’s Signature Sambal and the rice can even be substituted with quinoa or couscous.

Recently, Will organized a birthday party for Mak Tok to simultaneously launch the full range of Mak Tok’s sambals. Attendees were treated to traditional Malaysian performances, guzhen music and food! The food spread was separated from where the sambal was but many of us ended up putting some sambal on our plates to have it with the food – it was that good.

The amazing thing about the range of sambal Mak Tok has is that it comes in a variety of spice level. If you like things extremely spicy, then the Fire Chilli Paste is for you. But if you like things mild then you would get the Satay Chilli Paste or the Sweet Chilli Paste. I personally like the Signature Chilli Paste which is not too spicy.

Overall, I had so much fun during the event, I was inspired by Will’s journey which was shared to us by Will and his mentor, USE’s startup coach Janet. To read more about this, head on to maktok.com where Will shares his journey and where you can get the Mak Tok Sambal!